Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Annoying assumptions

There are a few things that annoy me. Men who whistle annoy me. I don't know why, but they do. Luckily, Khalid has never whistled. Sluggish computers annoy me. I hate waiting for computer screens to change. That's why new computer gadgetry really doesn't impress me. I will never be impressed by the achievements of computer engineers until they actually create a machine that is able to anticipate my needs before I am even aware of them. If that happens, I will be impressed! I won't be able to afford the technology--but I'll be impressed! Yeah, I know..I'm a tough and impatient customer.

However, what really annoys me is when people who are casually acquainted with me and know that I am married to an immigrant, automatically assume various things about my husband. These assumptions include the following:

  • he is not educated



  • he speaks with an accent and/or does not speak English very well



  • he doesn't pay taxes



  • he's used public services and assistance



  • he is unskilled



  • he is short

All of these statements illustrate a profound misunderstanding of the diversity of the immigrant population in the United States. Many immigrants come from countries that structure their educational systems like English and American institutions. These schools teach English, science, math and technology and hold their students to a high standard: sometimes even higher than American ideals. Additionally, many immigrants are educated and hold prestigious degrees from either Western institutions or schools in their own country.

Why is this the case? Western imperialism has shaped the structuring of various country's economy and political functioning. In order to compete, many nations have decided to embrace the Western educational system. Other nations have not had the luxury of a choice but have been forced to homogenize their educational institutions into replicating the Western counterpart.

In Kuwait, where my husband spent his youth, the British had already established Western schools. All children were required to take English classes and to master the language. Khalid learned to read and write in English as well as Arabic. The education that he received in Kuwait was of such a high quality that he can read and write English better than a substantial portion of Americans.

My husband is well educated and has sought after skills. He has studied electrical engineering and his knowledge is valued by his employer. He is the only technician at his job that is vested with repairing the most complicated electronic units. He is most definitely skilled.

My husband does not have an accent. He has been in this country for over twenty years and he has consciously strived to lose any vestige of an accent. This is a useful and advantageous undertaking because he is able to assimilate into American culture and avoid many of the assumptions that effect immigrants in a negative way: many assumptions similar to the ones I am discussing right now.

As far as the following three assumptions go: he doesn't pay taxes, has utilized public services and is short--they are too insulting to even answer....I only wag my finger at them and say: "shame on you...."

No comments: